Wednesday, May 21, 2008

XP SP3 Killed My PC or Not?


Microsoft released Service Pack 3 for Windows XP on 5/6/2008. I decided to install it on my 7 and a half year old Dell GX110 desktop PC and it literally killed my PC. Or did it? After completing the installation, shutting down, and forcing a restart, my PC would not boot or even start the POST process. No output on the monitor, I could not access the BIOS. The power light was solid amber, pointing to a hardware, not software problem. The fan on the power supply was running and I even swapped out a spare power supply, but no success. The problem is either the motherboard or the processor. I bought this PC refurbished from Dell to use a my backup PC, and my primary PC is working great. I know it is a hardware issue, but it seems too coincidental that my PC croaked after installing XP SP3. There are tons of articles out there documenting problems with HP PC's that have AMD processors. I had a working Dell with an Intel processor, so it really does not explain my situation.

I have been procrastinating about building a new PC for myself. I have most of the less expensive parts already - case, power supply, video card, and SATA hard drive. It looks like I will be using part of my Economic Stimulus Payment for the more expensive parts - processor, motherboard, and RAM. Thank You Bill Gates!

4 comments:

Manx203 said...

Doesn't sound like SP3 to me. I don't see how the Service pack would affect your Motherboard.
I've installed SP3 on a number of computers over the past couple of weeks with only positive effects.

PittCheMBA said...

Thanks commenting on my blog. I am a IT Support Professional, so I do know that SP3 had nothing to do with the hardware failure of my PC. The blog title for this post was meant to bring in traffic, and I guess it did its job.

Anonymous said...

well exactly the same has happened to me... After installing sp3 my desktop advent 3517 about 5 year old has no wireless or network capabilities despite 2 complete formats and reinstalls of xp. No wireless cards work... So it's not even like it just fried the one that was in it... I tried my parents usb wireless adapter same problem...

But that's not the worst thing...
My laptop compaq presario v6000 has completely died... Won't boot same as your dell.... Took it to the IT shop at microsofts request... His diagnosis is motherboard failure...

Any comments to el_chupe_nibre@hotmail.com

That's nothing to do with the software....
None of these problems are.... Yet both happened the instant I installed sp3 and both machines were completely fine before....

Anonymous said...

I have a 4 year old Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-RZ40CG, and it seems the same has happened to me.

Now, all I get, (for a few seconds) is, "VGA No Signal Input."

I have replaced the Video card, but to no avail.

I am also having problems with SP3 loading into my iMAC (Windows XP Pro side.) Get error message stating I need to have 4 MB more free on my hard drive to load it. I have over 30 GB free on the drive already.

Spent over three hours yesterday on "chat" with SP3 support, and have now set an appointment for a Microsoft network engineer to call me tomorrow at noon.