Saturday, December 29, 2007
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Being the day after Christmas, there was not much to watch on TV, so as I was channel surfing, I came across ABC's "Private Practice". I thought it was a good show. However, in real life, you will never find a private practice where the doctors, both male and female, are so good looking.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
This is a view from the sidewalk:
When I bought these LED's at Wal Mart, another shopper spoke to me and said we live in a throw away society. He preferred to pay $2.00 for a 50 light incandescent set versus $10.00 for a 60 light LED set.
This year, the Capital Christmas Tree in Washington, DC was lit with LED lights.
Friday, December 14, 2007
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Friday, December 07, 2007
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
- When I get home from work, it is dark, so I do not feel guilty about taking a nap.
- Snow makes Christmas much more special.
- I do not have to mow the lawn.
- It is too cold to hand wash my car.
- I can gain some weight and hide it with a baggy sweatshirt.
- I like wearing boots instead of sneakers in the winter.
- I like wearing a beanie/skull cap in my cold basement when I workout.
- I can be late for work because of the weather.
- I can catch up watching my collection of DVD’s because I spend more time indoors.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins.
Here are 10 Things I hate about winter, in no particular order:
- There are less hours of sunlight. I wake up in the dark, and leave work in the dark.
- I have to shovel snow.
- I have to drive in snow and ice.
- Waterproof boots are never waterproof.
- My car gets all salted up, and it is too cold to wash my baby.
- My basement is cold, my workout equipment is in the basement, so I workout in a cold basement.
- My head gets cold because I refuse to wear a hat which would ruin my hair.
- I have to wear layers of clothes to keep warm, then I feel too warm because I am wearing layers of clothes.
- My nose gets dry, so I get a lot of nosebleeds.
- My skin gets very dry, so my fingertips crack. Very painful.
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Friday, November 30, 2007
Thursday, November 29, 2007
What is WetGo, a new diaper/undergarment to compete against Depends? No, WetGo is GetGo's name for it's automated car wash. A co-worker gave me a coupon for a free car wash at GetGo which had an expiration date of 12/3. I decided to try it out after lunch, so I went to the GetGo on Route 8 in Butler, PA. I assume my experience will be the same at other WetGo locations. I went inside and the cashier gave me a receipt with an access code printed on it. There was actually an attendant at the start of the car wash who keyed in the access code and gave very brief instructions. I was told to put my car in neutral as I drove onto a conveyor belt which ran under my driver side tires. The conveyor belt eventually grabbed my tires and pulled me into and through the car wash. It was a strange feeling being sucked into the car wash - the sounds, not being able to see out the windows. It was painless and at the end of the car wash, a green lit light indicating it was ok to put my car into drive and head on out. So, how well did it clean my car? My car was moderately dirty, and car wash actually did a good job of cleaning my car. I would rate it 7 of of 10. The rinse cycle was a little short so I was not as pleased with the rinse cycle. The short rinse cycle contributed to some streaking on the windows. My car is a hatchback and has a windshield wiper on the rear window that is a little loose. I was afraid that the car wash would knock off the wiper blade, but it did not. This may sound strange, but I have owned my car for 5 years and have always hand washed/waxed it. Until today. With winter coming, I may consider get more car washes at the WetGo at GetGo.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Monday, November 26, 2007
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Friday, November 23, 2007
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Rest is good, but there are some negatives from not working out: 1) my bad left knee feels unstable. I had arthoscopic surgery on this knee about 12 years ago for a meniscus tear. My left knee feels "rusty" if I do not exercise it for a while; 2) I actually lose weight due to losing muscle mass; 3) I have exercise induced asthma, which flares up when the weather change from warm to cold. I need to keep up my cardio or I will have problems breathing in cold weather. Now you understand why maintaining a workout routine becomes more difficult with age.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Sunday, November 18, 2007
- Naples is a tourist town. Most of the businesses are hotels and restaurants.
- Naples is bike friendly. I saw a lot of bicyclists riding their bikes, even on the 6 lane divided highways.
- It is warm.
- I have never seen so much mulch and landscaping on a highway median.
- Almost every office building is meticulously landscaped with a waterfall.
- It must be damn expensive to live down there.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Friday, November 16, 2007
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
I ate dinner at the Red Lobster in Naples, FL tonight. I waited a long time for a server to take my order. In the booth next to me, a mother and daughter were having dinner and the mother requested to speak to the manager and also wanted a different waitress. In fact, I never say the waitress that was supposed to serve me for the rest of the evening. The manager either canned her or told her to leave for the evening. You would not believe this, but after complaining about everything from the biscuits to the dessert, the mother actually had the nerve to ask the manager how her daughter could apply for a job as a bus person. The manager was politically correct and said that all applicants must pass a personality test. I doubt if her daughter will ever work there. So, how was the food. Well, the food was tasty, but when someone whines all evening about everything, the meal just is not that enjoyable. The mother did have a right to complain, but she went over the top. The daughter was so embarrassed by her mother's whining, she asked to leave even before the dessert came out.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Monday, November 12, 2007
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Saturday, November 10, 2007
On my way home, I stopped by my local AutoZone to get my car battery replaced. I was still running my original car battery, which was 5 years old, so it was due for a replacement. The salesperson who rung up the receipt did not know what he was doing, so I had to look at the receipt twice. Also, the engine coolant/antifreeze level in my car was low, so I bought a gallon of Prestone.
Now is a good time to get your vehicle ready for winter - before it gets too cold and before any significant amounts of snow or ice. Here are some things you may want to do now:
- check car battery charge, replace if necessary
- check tire tread depth, replace if necessary
- check engine coolant/antifreeze level
- check wiper blades
- buy windshield washer fluid
- prepare an emergency winter kit with booster cables, cat liter for traction, lock de-icer (or matches), blanket or extra clothes, gloves, hat, snow brush, ice scraper, non-perishable food (peanuts are good), small portable snow shovel
- wash car and apply a good coat of car wax - it is easier to remove snow and ice if your car has a nice coat of wax
- AAA membership if you can afford it
There seems to be a direct correlation between how much I post and how much I work out. I am trying to rest my injured elbow tendonitis which essentially wipes out all of my upper body workouts. I am doing stretching and strengthening exercises for my forearms and wrists. I have not been able to schedule a doctor appointment to check out my elbow yet, but hope to do so soon.
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
If you have internet access, click on the Penguins home page , there will be a link on the page where you can listen to the game live. Also, you can go to the homepage of 105.9 FM “The X”, and click on the "Listen Live" link.