Saturday, November 10, 2007

Winter Car Preparation


My car's state and emission inspection is due this month, so this morning at 8:00AM, I dropped my car off at the Sears in the Ross Park Mall. I was surprised that they were done around 10:30AM, and they did not charge me extra for anything stupid like a $20 wiper blade or a $10 light bulb.

On my way home, I stopped by my local AutoZone to get my car battery replaced. I was still running my original car battery, which was 5 years old, so it was due for a replacement. The salesperson who rung up the receipt did not know what he was doing, so I had to look at the receipt twice. Also, the engine coolant/antifreeze level in my car was low, so I bought a gallon of Prestone.

Now is a good time to get your vehicle ready for winter - before it gets too cold and before any significant amounts of snow or ice. Here are some things you may want to do now:


  • check car battery charge, replace if necessary

  • check tire tread depth, replace if necessary

  • check engine coolant/antifreeze level

  • check wiper blades

  • buy windshield washer fluid

  • prepare an emergency winter kit with booster cables, cat liter for traction, lock de-icer (or matches), blanket or extra clothes, gloves, hat, snow brush, ice scraper, non-perishable food (peanuts are good), small portable snow shovel

  • wash car and apply a good coat of car wax - it is easier to remove snow and ice if your car has a nice coat of wax

  • AAA membership if you can afford it

No comments: