Friday, December 07, 2007

Pay It Forward


I did my good deed for the day today. As I left the Target on Route 8 in Gibsonia, I saw two people in the parking lot talking on cell phones. One was a gray haired adult male and the second person was a female teenager. It was kind of strange seeing two people standing six feet apart talking on cell phones. As I was about to start my car up, the older gentleman asked me if I had a set of booster cables that he could borrow to help the young lady. The gentleman used his pickup truck to attempt to jump start the teenager's vehicle, but the battery was just too dead. The gentleman handed the booster cables back to me because he did not want to take too much of my time. I told him I was sorry that the booster cables were not able to help the young lady's car. The two did know each other, either from church or the girl's parents. The girl's car had a temporary vehicle registration in the back windshield, so I assumed she was driving a recently bought used vehicle.

Usually I do not like to help strangers, but it was a lighted parking lot with surveillance cameras, so I thought it would be safe. It was a nice feeling helping someone out, even if the outcome was not the best. You may have heard of the movie "Pay It Forward". It was based on the novel of the same name and there is actually a Pay It Forward Foundation.

No comments: