Friday, November 07, 2008

Downsize

I usually do not talk about work in my posts, but tonight I will. My employer is a national company with locations in several states. Over the past several years my company has been downsizing as many others have. The downsizing usually occurs a few months before the end of the year - the end of October/early November. One of my fellow employees was notified today that his job is being eliminated. His supervisor from out of state (which is common with my company) drove in today and delivered the news personally. He has two weeks left and will receive a severance package. I am saddened because this employee is very friendly, works long hours, is liked by everyone, and has a family to support. He is around my age, mid 40's. I am a little shocked because there are much older employees near retirement age still working at my company. Life is just not fair.

No comments: