Monday, January 29, 2007

Weekly Workout Rewind - 1/21/2007

I completed one weight lifting session and three cardio sessions. Mid way through the week, I noticed that my right wrist was bothering me more than normal. Last Spring, I injured my right wrist when I fell and used my right hand to brace the fall. My doctor diagnosed it as DeQuervain's Tendinitis. I remembered the test that I completed to determine that it was DeQuervain's. The test is called the Finkelstein test. In this test, the patient makes a fist with the fingers over the thumb. The wrist is then bent in the direction of the little finger. This test can be quite painful for the person with deQuervain's tendinitis. Tenderness directly over the tendons on the thumb side of the wrist is the most common finding, however.

Well, I completed the test, and yes, I have DeQuervain's tendinitis, AGAIN. This discovery deflated my motivation to work out. I stopped lifting any upper body parts to rest my right wrist. I wore a wrist brace most of the weekend and wear it at night when I sleep. I am going to wait until the end of this week to see if there is any improvement. If not, I will have to see my doctor again.

I am pretty bummed out about my re-injury. Every time I seem to be making progress, I always seem to encounter a setback. Am I getting too old for this? Has 18 years of working out made my body more suseptible to injuries, or has it prevented my injuries from being worse? What came first, the chicken, or the egg?

No comments: