Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Why I Workout

I am on a self imposed “Out of Commission” status until I can get a diagnosis on my right wrist. I have scheduled an appointment with a hand surgeon for next Monday. When I get into a slump where I do not want to workout, I remind myself why I need to workout. Here are my reasons:

1. Self discipline, structure – when my life seems out of control, working out gives me discipline and provides structure when I need it.

2. Stress reducer – Working out helps me relieve stress. I take out my frustrations on myself my building and shaping my body.

3. Endorphins – Working out is supposed to release endorphins, your body’s natural high.

4. Knee rehab – I had a meniscus tear in my left knee about 10 years ago. A self induced overuse injury from working out was the likely cause. I had arthroscopic surgery to fix it. The knee feels unstable if I do not exercise it regulary.

5. Exercise induced asthma prevention – I discovered that I have exercise induced asthma, so I need to do cardio on a regular basis.

6. Goal setting – Working out lets me set goals for my physical fitness level.

7. Mental stimulation – I have found out that mind seems to focus better when I am working out regularly.

Today, I worked my abs and did cardio on my exercise bike. Later.

No comments: